“That’s been one of my mantras – focus and simplicity. Simple can be harder than complex: You have to work hard to get your thinking clean to make it simple. But it’s worth it in the end because once you get there, you can move mountains.”
– Steve Jobs
There can be little debate. Steve Jobs understood the efficiency of simplicity. It was in everything he stood for. His achievements in design and production of innovative products secured his place in history. Simplicity is what every process should strive for. Have you achieved simplicity in every part of your process?
The 5S Tool Creates Simplicity
As a Lean Six Sigma professional, you have at your disposal a powerful tool that when used properly, creates simplicity in everything you do. Complexity may look impressive, but simplicity is power. The 5S tool clears bottlenecks, delivering amazing benefits to process and gets results. The 5 steps of the 5S tool are:
- Sort – Understand and identify the what matters the most to your business. Know what makes a genuine difference and focus.
- Straighten – There is a place for everything and everything has its place. Be precise in everything.
- Shine – Cleanliness is a habit that should be instilled into every person and process.
- Standardize – Process should be refined and standardized to the point where it can be interchanged across all platforms in a seamless manner.
- Sustain – Simply put, it is all about being disciplined in everything you do. It may not be easy, but the discipline reaps success.
Continuous Quality Improvement
When things are simple and efficient, you get results! There is power in a process that is executed with those simple elements. The 5S tool allows organization to enjoy processes that meet or exceed those elements. They create the perfect environment for success.
“Success is nothing more than a few simple disciplines practiced every day”
– Jim Rohn